- 8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
- One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained well
- 1/2 cup salsa, fresh salsa is best
- 1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar or mexican cheese
- 1 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
- Feel free to use enchilada sauce, additional salsa or fat-free sour cream for dipping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling, set aside.
Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray (I use Nature's Promise All-Natural Cooking Spray), and set aside. Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable. Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with non-stick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface. Spoon about 2 heaping spoonfuls of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Bake for 15 minutes, until crispy. Allow taquitos to cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!