- 5 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced or chopped fine
- 1/3 cup white wine (choose whatever wine you like to drink!)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 large bunch of basil, julienned and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Juice of one lemon (slice and reserve leftovers)
To obtain more flavorful and jucier meat, always brine in advance. This is a technique I just tried for the first time and I noticed a HUGE difference. For boneless, skinless chicken breasts you only need to let the chicken brine for 30 to 60 minutes. In a large plastic bag (or glass bowl or dish), pour 1 quart of cold water, 1/2 cup kosher salt or 1/4 table salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix well, place chicken in bag and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Learn more about brining at Cooks Illustrated.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add garlic and let cook for about 1 minute, you don't want to burn the garlic. Remove from heat. Stir in wine, lemon zest, basil, salt and pepper.
Arrange chicken breasts in a baking dish. Season breasts with salt and pepper. Pour lemon basil sauce over chicken and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Keep covered and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.