- 1 lb. red potatoes, washed and cut into 1-2" chunks
- 1 lb. purple topped turnips, washed and cut into 1-2" chunks
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped and divided
- 3/4 cup of skim milk
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, add potatoes and turnips and add just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil for 12-15 minutes, until you can easily insert a fork into the chunks. You want them to be soft, but not falling apart. Drain potatoes and set aside.
In a food processor, puree garlic and onion until smooth. Saute garlic/onion mixture in olive oil on medium-low heat 4 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes, turnips, skim milk and 2 Tbsp of rosemary.
Mash the potato mixture with a masher or a whisk, breaking up large chunks. Mash to your desired level of smoothness. I like mine chunky, more smashed than mashed. Continue to cook potatoes, on medium-low for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rosemary.