- 1/2 package (16 oz) curly lasagna noodles (about 10 noodles)
- 2 cans (14 oz each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. coarsley ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
Prepare lasagna noodles according to package. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Return noodles to sauce pot with cold water to cover.
Meanwhile, in a 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish, combine stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Prepare filling: In a large bowl, mix all cheeses, pepper and 3 tablespoons chopped basil.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drain lasagna noodles on clean kitchen towels. Spread rounded 1/4 cup filling on each lasagna noodle and roll up jelly-roll fashion. Slice each noodle crosswise in half. Arrange lasagna rolls, cut side down, in sauce in baking dish and cover loosely with foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until hot.
Meanwhile, prepare topping: In a nonstick 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook until tender and browned. Stir in zucchini, cook until tender. Stir in diced tomato, capers and remaining 1 tablespoon basil, heat through. To serve, place sauce and lasagna rolls on plate and spoon topping over the rolls. Enjoy!