- 8 cups sourdough bread, 1-inch cubes
- 6 oz. mild Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups chopped, peeled Golden Delicious apple (about 2)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet for about 20 minutes or until golden. Cool and place in a large bowl. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Add sausage to bread in bowl.
Return skillet to medium-high heat and add onion, fennel and celery to pan. Saute for about 7 minutes until crisp and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in apple and garlic; saute for 5 minutes until veggies are tender. Add sage and cook for an additional minute, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat and stir in chopped parsley. Add onion mixture to bread mixture and toss well to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken stock, apple cider, eggs and black pepper. Gently combine egg mixture with bread mixture. Spoon stuffing into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes until top is browned. Enjoy!